Sunday 22 June
Tonight was the formal opening ceremony, and also take-lots-of-photos night.
I was a very modest photo taker compared to most, but I got a few snaps.
For example, here are my two roomies:
That is Ingrida (Lithuania) on the left, and Waafa (Egypt) on the right. They are both very, very nice, and I think we will have a good time living together.
These two live across the hall. I think their flat will be the party house:
Portugese Rita is on the left, and Armenian Emma is on the right. You can't see it properly in the
photo but Emma has diamante studs all down the outside of her trousers.
Rita looks a lot dryer than she did this afternoon under the Amherst Korean Baptist church porch.
And, below is a phot of all-of-us-but-0ne. The guy from Pakistan has had a hard time with visas and has still not left home. although the staff are working to get him here.
From front left, we are from Benin, Slovakia, Portugal, Lithuania, Egypt, Philippines, Vietnam, India. Back row from left, Nigeria, Cameroon, China, Armenia, South Africa, somewhere near Australia where, apparently, they speak like those ghastly people off Neighbours (honestly, someone told me that tonight!), Venezuala, Ukraine, Indonesia, and University of Massachusetts.
Paul from Benin's decision to sit on the knee of Daniel from Slovakia prompted Jerry Milleur (one of the Professors - far right, back row) to say that although gay marriages are permitted in the state of Massachusetts, the State Department might frown on it. No-one moved.
I was right in thinking that I am the only native English speaker, (and therefore, the only one to speak only one language) but I have been told that my accent is one of the more difficult ones to understand. Not fair!
Sunday, June 22, 2008
The United Nations of Massachusetts
Posted by KGBH at 8:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment