Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We're in the South now









But en-route, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania.



































Clean, plain, a little bit scary.













We were there to hear a lecture on American media and politics from a Professor at Shippensburg University. She was disappointing because she assumed we had no knowledge whatsoever of the US media system. It is, however, educational to sit through even bad lectures.

It is good be reminded, for example, that you should attempt to establish the parameters of your audience's knowledge. It is a difficult thing on this course though, as we come from different backgrounds, different specialist areas, and some of my colleagues have since told me they found the lecture very helpful.























Then, in the bus to Charlottesville, Virginia, officially 'the South'.



There were a few pointers to that fact around.






















































Steamy evening streets, gracious old balconied houses, and something really loud croak-screeching in the trees. I asked one of the organisers what it was - he thought either crickets or frogs. Are there really going to be frogs in the trees??


So southern!









But, what's this??












Crikey!




I met the young, pony-tailed campaign office manager last night walking up the 'downtown' mall behind our hotel (full of expensive little boutiques selling ladies' hats, antiques, jewellery, and lots of outdoor cafes).

He has invited me to go back to the campaign room some time while we are here, to talk more about the campaign. Cool!

I have a new room mate - Ingrida again. It wasn't working out with Jane in that she liked to sleep a lot more than me - in the afternoon, and very early at night, so our hotel room was always dark, and I was worried about waking her up when I came into the room. Ingrida and I keep much more similar hours - and she likes to listen to the radio, and watch TV, as do I. NPR - yay! Fannie Mae is being discussed alot today - sounds pretty bad for a lot of people. And now, a documentary on Janis Ian - 'I learned the truth at 17'...etc.

0 comments: