It seems cruel to post photos of a waterpark when I know everyone at home is suffering in the cold - even snow- but I am bound, am I not, to stick faithfully to the truth?We spent the morning at the Williamsburg Family Entertainment Centre, also known in these parts as 'Kentucky Splash'. We enjoyed the hydroslide, wave pool, and, best of all, the waterway, which allows you to sit in a rubber ring and float slowly along a 'river' circuit. Bridget and I did several leisurely laps, listening to those funny Kentucky accents and the piped country and western music of varying quality.
We stuck out even without opening our mouths - such winter-white skin was not to be found on any of the other bodies (which came in every shape and size - some unimaginable.) Quite the contrary; the air was rich with the smell of Hawaiin Tropic sun tan lotion being slapped on already deeply tanned skin (with one hand, while a cigarette hung off the other). I, meanwhile, was busy spraying the kids with SPF 50+. American 50+ doesn't seem to work quite like NZ's, as we all got a bit pink despite it.
Then, the long drive through Kentucky into Tennessee. We reached Nashville in the evening, found a motel near the highway, scrubbed up a bit, and then drove downtown to 'Music City'.

It was 9.00pm Friday night and the main strip along Broadway was full of tourists, but also men in jeans held up with big-buckled belts, boots and cowboy hats, and girls in skimpy dresses and stillettos. Make-up is also a form of clothing in these parts.
Outside some venues there were queues of people, while other bars were just loud and pumping out live country. Graeme and I, holding Hugh's hand tightly, could only imagine the joys of entering one of the more interesting-looking venues, ordering a drink, and listening to some live music. Another life!
Graeme did have a browse around Ernest Tubb's record shop though.
Bridget enjoyed the people-watching, and looked longingly at several pairs of cowgirl boots in the many western apparel shops along the main street.
Today - we are heading South on Route 65 until we meet the Natchez Trace, which we will follow until it is time to stop. First, breakfast. What delights will it offer us today?



0 comments:
Post a Comment