Sunday, October 12, 2008

Autumn In New York

Autumn in New York

The gleaming rooftops at sundown
Oh, autumn in New York
It lifts you up when you run down"
(Billie Holiday)

Where to begin with such a sensual overload, a city that just gives you anything and everything ..I'm deeply impressed and have very sore feet, having hiked a few miles today ..fantastic.
The flight across the country yesterday from San Diego was an eye-opener as well , with extensive views all across Arizona, Utah , Nebraska ( twas raining Kent..) Iowa, the southern part of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, ending with a truly spectacular pass across Manhattan Island and out to JFK Airport. I got the subway to E 17th Street, and "Hotel 17", which had some startling similarities to the hotel in the Coen Bros film "Barton Fink".















At dusk I headed to Greenwich Village in search of music and food...





























Hey folk music fans , this is the intersection of Bleecker and MacDougal, still
a hub of sorts..














May I refer you to this album...from 1965:



















Dinner was at Joe Jr's..














Tho just down the road was this "French-Bavarian" place which looked distinctly autumnal...














In nearby Union Square I came across a bizarre scene - a guy seemingly willing to fight anybody ...this woman was up for it, but I could not discern the reward being offered ... She did ok though.














And really ...it feels so relaxed here, I am slightly surprised. I think we have a picture of New Yorkers being people with an aggressive attitude and little time for their fellow citizens in their great big metropolis.. ...not true i think . Even the taxi drivers are cool.


1 comments:

KGBH said...

Love your bedroom!! Now I want to see the State Dept one! Who won the fist fight in Times Square? How was Ground Zero today?