The aquarium just down the road was established in 1903 after the Marine Biological Association of San Diego was created to conduct marine research in the local waters of the Pacific Ocean. The founders built and maintained a small public aquarium and museum to communicate their discoveries to the world... thay later changed the name to honour some of the major donations from the Scripps newspaper family..
The researchers moved to La Jolla in 1905. Several years later, the association purchased 174 acres at La Jolla Shores for $1,000 at a public auction from the city of San Diego. The first permanent building at the new site was constructed in 1910. Today, this building is listed as an histric place
.
In 1985, Stephen and Mary Birch Foundation kicked off a fund-raising effort for a new aquarium by donating $6 million. JCJ Architecture of San Diego was selected as the design architect and in 1992, the current $14 million opened for business... These are some of the occupants...
The "fried egg" jellyfish...
And the Zebra fish ...look closely for the deadly rockfish sitting on the back wall..
Cool.

1 comments:
they are beautiful... great footage
Would love some snippets of american high and junior school life sometime...
And will contact re skyping real soon. xx N.
Post a Comment