Uptown baby, now in the Roger Smith Hotel at 47th and Lexington, just up from Grand Central Station ...still living up to its name.
Now, Roger Smith seems to fancy himself as a bit of an art buff... they have an art gallery off the lobby, and they've already changed the paintings in the corridor on this floor..
Lexington Ave ..the "Rog" is in the middle of the photo ...and that's the Chrysler Building in the background.
I had intended on walking west across Manhattan to Amsterdam Avenue and the street fair I saw advertised..however I only got as far as Fifth Avenue, which was blocked off for a parade celebrating New York's Hispanic communities ..and involved groups from every country in Central and South America...and others.
I came across random groups of Bolivian Indians getting dressed for the big event...
The parade sort of ended up at one of the largest street markets I've ever seen ...it stretched for a dozen blocks up Fifth Avenue to the southern edge of Central Park.
Hey that guy has a Small Faces t-shirt...
Anyway, ended up in Central Park..
The lungs of the city and all that, but also interesting in that it shows just what a rocky and rolling landscape Manhattan Island was before they got to work with the grid system and the bulldozers ...
Cue George Gerswhin please...

1 comments:
OK, so now we want to see the inside of your room!
Post a Comment